View Profile Everratic

513 audio Reviews with Responses

All 327 Reviews

This is very relaxing. I like some of the improv lines, and the chord progressions are wonderful. I think this is quite a danceable song, though I have no way to know with certainty :P

Besides the obvious points, a couple things I would charge are making the piano slightly softer (with EQ), and cutting out some of the bass’s high end. I think these changes would make the song much easier to listen to on repeat; I found it to be a little fatiguing as is despite greatly enjoying the composition.

I’m surprised by how well you can create totally different styles of music!

Phonometrologist responds:

Thank you. This is more relaxed than a typical Salsa that's for sure.
Regarding your comments about mixing, those are fair points. I'll probably return to this sometime with a fresh set of ears with your comments in mind. In the meantime, I did notice that because of the style, there's a lot of high end in general and that's new for me when writing pieces. It might be tiresome on the ears if listened on headphones, but this style is meant to be danced to over speakers in a room. And perhaps with tons of drinking involved as well. The Salsa references I used to arrange and mix this all were heavy on the bass and high on 1k &10k range. And the bass has some artifacts between 500-1k, because I was using an upright bass sample. I wanted to keep some of that acoustic/live feel in the bass. All fair, but I haven't gotten any critique from 8Dio about EQing these parts so I left it as is for them. The main thing they didn't want was the guitar solo at the end so I left it in the version for Newgrounds instead.

This is really catchy. I’m glad the riser came out of retirement :D

Ectisity responds:

Just had to return to my roots real quick :D

I think I become much more sensitive to piano velocity and the tone of playing after watching "Your Lie in April", which was one of the best stories I've ever seen. Now I can appreciate your playing even more :)

This is a wonderful and diverse composition, and I think I sense some inspiration from FFIX?

I think you mastered the use of staccato notes in a mostly sustained piece, and as usual, you managed to make the LH arrangement just as interesting as the RH arrangement.

I love the chord at 2:47. It sounds like something I would do.

I think this is easily one of your best compositions.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I liked that anime as well. A bit slow at times, perhaps, but it's all worth it for where it was headed. I think dynamics are a really important part of piano playing indeed, and often I rerecord something even for minor dynamic errors.

I had a lot of fun composing this. I didn't personally take inspiration from FFIX for this track, but rather from some classical works in general. So in that sense, your "Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso" wasn't far off!

Staccato notes are really fun. I've been (and still am) a bit too reliant on the piano pedal, so I'm trying to learn where it's not really necessary, and I feel like I've gotten much better at it. I also did put quite a bit of effort into the left-hand patterns! I'd say the most difficult part there is to learn to play my own arrangement ideas. The good thing is that that gives my left hand some much needed practice.

Thanks for the encouraging words, and good luck with this round!

I admire your courage to make a song outside your comfort zone in ngadm.

I really like the drums. Besides the lack of high end percussion, I think you did a great job in this area.

This is a good start composition-wise, but there is a lot of room for development. You can add more countermelodies, layers, and articulations. Even if you lack realistic instruments, you can make them sound a lot more interesting by using most of the different articulations available to you. As for layering, you probably have enough knowledge to figure out the primary frequency range of orchestral instruments by ear; you might want to consider layering instruments with different timbres and frequency ranges to create a more interesting sound and fill the mix a bit. In the beginning, it's easier to layer instruments from different families, such as a flute and french horn, for example.

I sense many opportunities for adding counter melodies and adorning elements, that will make the composition sound busier and more exciting.

Good luck in the contest and I hope you continue dabbling with orchestral music :)

PredatorMusic responds:

Thank you man! Glad to have a review from an orchestra expert (yes you are). I will take this to heart, will use layering more here and there and start experimenting with other combos.
And yeah the melodies... uh, talking about all the genres that I've made, thats my weak point, im still trying to get better at that!

Thanks again man! I will be experimenting more with the genre.

The composition is beautiful and heartwarming. The climax was executed perfectly. I love the piano outro.

JessieYun responds:

Hey Everratic,
Thank you very much for the comment, I'm so glad you enjoyed it overall <3

I really like the sound design!

Tomhson responds:

Thank you very much!

I didn't notice the length until johnfn pointed it out. That makes the song even more impressive xD

Phonometrologist responds:

Was it intentional? I cannot say that I do not disagree.

This is amazing :O

Mooke responds:

Thank you for stopping by, and thanks for your review! :)

This is phenomenal in so many ways. I think the best feature of the song is its liveliness. You managed to keep me enthralled by your work for over 7 minutes, and I was actually sad when it ended.

I don't have any significant criticism. I actually like that there doesn't seem to be a unifying theme or melody, and there is even some messiness (or lack of focus) in individual sections; I think this feature contributes to the liveliness of the track that I adore so much. With that said, I think it might be slightly too messy at times - there were a few elements that I thought failed to add value, and they barely fit in the mix. I didn't really mind it though, and I think most listeners won't even notice.

I give this a 10/10.

VociferousMusic responds:

Thanks for the neat words, I'm glad you liked it!
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by messiness in terms of lack of focus. But since you are referring to the liveliness, I might assume that you meant that some instruments played a bit off-beat sometimes. That definitely has been done on intention to make it sound more real and organic. In the busier sections I reduced that to a minimum though.

I think I get what you mean by the last point. I must admit I do own VSTs that are worse on quality than others, which caused a slighty noticable difference between them in the mix. But I'm more than glad I actually had access to so many instruments at the end. At some point I prefered to have a certain instrument in instead of renouncing it. I felt like some instruments are really important to be added, to grant the certain flair to the piece. I'm glad you still enjoyed it that way and that gives me the feeling that I made the right decision about that. :)

This is beautiful! :D The melody is so uplifting. The buildups and release of tension felt too textbooky for my taste, but it was still done effectively.

AceMantra responds:

Hey, thanks! I'll see what I can do about making future compositions feel less "textbooky" :P

Hi, I compose orchestral music. I'm open to commissions. everratc@gmail.com