View Profile Everratic

3 Game Reviews

I like the music and scenery. I find it difficult to do the objective though.

larrynachos responds:

It's certainly more fun with a controller, I struggle with the keyboard controls myself. Thanks for the review!

This was by far my favorite game out of the few I played tonight! :D I got lost on some levels, though I completed the other ones within ten seconds. I searched for some of the answers, and I was actually disappointed in myself for doing so because I realized I was on the right track; I just needed a little more time. I can see the mental benefits of playing what you call "psychology" games. I realized that on each of the difficult levels, I tended to think outside the box for about the first minute or so, but over the course of a few minutes, my thinking would become more rigid, and then solving the puzzle seemed impossible. I recognize this tendency of mine from my high school math courses: if I was able to solve complex algebraic problems within the first one or two attempts, I would seem like an expert, but if I failed the first couple of attempts, I would seem like a quitter.

The puzzles are well designed. I think the game's difficulty is perfect, and I actually like that the levels are not in order of increasing difficulty. The storyline seems to be generic (I don't know why I'm saying this when I've barely played any games of this genre); however, the narrator is a very interesting character! It's interesting how you were able to put yourself in the position of such as person in order to make the narration so engaging.

Did you make the typeface? You might not want to follow my advice on this because, as I told you, I have poor vision that can't be fixed with glasses, so I'm of a small minority, but the text was extremely difficult to read. The size is fine; the problem is that the individual letters aren't distinct enough. I think there should have been more contrast in the type design.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thank you very much! For playing the game, and for leaving this nice review :D

The difficulty definitely doesn't increase exponentially, which is an interesting touch on my part. I'm not even sure myself exactly why I did it, but I do remember me wanting the first puzzle to be first, and the last puzzle to be last. So when one of the more difficult puzzles was already at the start, perhaps I decided to focus on an interesting game, instead of a perfectly balanced one :)

Don't worry abut looking up answers; a lot of people have done that. Who knows, maybe I would've myself too? If one is unlucky, sometimes a certain puzzle simply doesn't click, whereas the following two might do so immediately. This game also requires quite a bit of patience, I'm sure, along with some free time.

I've come to the conclusion that the difficulty is apt too, and I'm glad you feel the same :)
Since there are about an even amount saying the game's too easy, and too hard, and those who think it's good, chances are it's fairly balanced in that respect, for what kind of a game it is.

I too would place these in the more abstract and difficult to define, "psychological game" sub-genre. Quite obviously, since I've been inspired by games of that same nature. I'm especially happy that you liked this one a bit more than the other games you played last night!

The story itself is quite simple indeed, and has a continuation in the sequel which I released last year. As you analyzed, I placed the focus on the narrator, villain, or what have you. I guess specifically, on making the dialogue interesting, while still being relevant for the "puzzles", if you will. As we've talked about, I enjoy when games have a good atmosphere, which I tried to accomplish in this game. Partly, through the music I composed for this game, before even making it!

I actually took some steps to be able to go into character (some of which included listening to certain types of music, and performing thought experiments). That probably wasn't necessary, but if the result is good I'm not going to complain :D

Sorry about the font. Your criticism is very vaild, not only because of your vision, since other people have complained as well. I think the style was the right to go with, as that got a fair deal of praise. But the actual execution could've been pulled off better. A lot of people try pressing "2" instead of "Z" in the beginning, for instance.

Thanks again for your well thought out and written review! I appreciate it very much :)
Perhaps someday when you feel like it, you'll try out the sequel ^ ^

The music's quality is really bad. If you fix the music quality and reupload it, I would love to play this game again :D

Eggy responds:

I didn't think it was that bad :S

369 Audio Reviews

Wow. You captured the cold, desolate atmosphere perfectly. The instrumentation is awesome; I love how you blended in synths for a more otherworldly vibe. The music evokes a vivid picture in my mind of a beautiful serene landscape. The english horn seems to represent the anguish and mourning of the dead.

This is on par with some of my favorite video game songs from likes of Jeremy Soule and Borislav Slavov. You definitely have what it takes to be among the best :) I wish this could be on Spotify so I can add it to my vgm playlist.

Deemo-R responds:

Thanks Everratic! I've only just recently found some of Slavov's work in Divinity II and that comparison is extremely humbling. There's definitely a sort of magic that's hard to match with the best of them, but it's always fun to try and see how close we can get!

I've been wanting to have this on Spotify, but it's a part of a collaborative album that the team is still sorting out. Once it's up I'll probably be able to post the other arrangement I did of a friend's desert theme as well, so fingers crossed!

Im in love with your detuned synths. I like the vocal effects.

LD-W responds:

If I can slip any of my designed virus-esq patches into a project, I'll always take the chance to ;)

This is very enjoyable! I especially like the use of percussion and the organ. If possible (I know it's difficult if you're using free/cheap instruments), I suggest working to improve the realism of your virtual performances. That would take the song to the next level.

Petrol4brains responds:

Really glad you liked it! You’re right, the guitar definitely has potential to sound more dynamic, I ignored some features it has for the sake of simplicity but I’ll try to dig in deeper next time I use it!

16 Art Reviews

wow

clayscence responds:

thanks!

wow!

This is amazing! I also create (musical) art inspired by Jeremy Soule, There's nothing like roaming around Skyrim at night.

BrendonBauman responds:

Amazing! I will have to look at your stuff! thank you for the nice comments!

Hi. I'm a self-taught orchestral composer. For commissions and other inquiries, contact me here or at everratc@gmail.com

Male