View Profile Everratic

All 365 Audio Reviews

285 w/ Responses

Wow, you managed to make a loop that’s seamless even on the ng audio player!

I love the chord progressions and the writing for the strings. The melody is quite catchy. The orchestration at the very end is awesome.

The solo violin performance doesn’t feel that realistic but it gets the job done.

Something about the mix bothered me so I downloaded the track, put it in my DAW, and played around with an EQ. I found the song to sound more pleasant with 2db cuts around both 120hz and 4Khz.

I enjoyed this a lot!

Miyolophone responds:

thank you!! that's very useful advice—i'll check those frequencies out when i go back into the project file for revisions.

There are many pleasant surprises melodically. I love when the melody continually rises at the end.

The mixing is excellent. It feels soft and velvety, and it's not too loud which is a common problem.

The structure is perfect. The entire piece feels cohesive, and there's just the right amount of variation.

I don't have any criticism. The execution is near perfect as far as I can tell.

AceMantra responds:

Thanks, friend! It really means a lot! :)

This is very emotional. I love the chord progressions!

The celesta (or whatever it is) would sound much more pleasant with some dynamic EQ. It’s a bit harsh right now, and the strong panning doesn’t help.

Another mixing issue is that the mix is mid-heavy, but I believe this could easily be solved by changing the octaves for different lines as well as possibly changing the key of the song for more favorable frequencies.

I enjoyed this a lot :)

ConnorHeather responds:

Thank you for the great constructive criticism, glad you enjoyed it! much appreciated!

I love the melody and the key changes.

Troisnyx responds:

*ah what is trois without key changes*
No, I kid, I kid. Thank you ❤️

It's beautiful! Congratulations.

The sound design is fantastic! I'm glad you didn't make the track overly loud, which seems to be common for this type of music.

I really like the choice of chords throughout the track. You effectively created chord progressions that portray both blissful innocence and awe without without straying from the still nature of a painting, and this was done by frequently juxtaposing the tonic chord with chords that portray a variety of contrasting moods.

I like the lack of resolution. It helps establish the piece as one that embodies the painting rather than one that tells a story beyond it.

1:34 could be an apt moment for a climax. The satisfying chord here could be further emphasized with additional instrumentation.

I think the mix has too many low-mids and each instrument sounds like it could benefit from a lot of EQing. The strings sound thin, especially relative to the wide piano. I think ideally the piano should feel more buoyant in such a track,

Gl in the contest! I'm not sure if I'll enter this year.

AlbeGian responds:

Thanks man! Glad you liked the composition. And yeah, after all these years I still have a lot of flaws with mixing and mastering (almost as if I never nail a correct mix everytime), so big thank you for pointing it all out, I'll have that in mind. I'm sure I'll get it correct someday lol
GL to you too in case you enter!

I really like the percussion, unexpected transitions, and the effects on the leads. Gl in the contest!

PredatorMusic responds:

Thank you man! Means a lot :)

I'm glad to hear more of your music after all this time!

This is unusual, but my favorite section is the post-climax; the sudden, unexpected mood change is heartwarming, and then there's another unexpected mood shift at 4:08 that effectively represents the return to reality. The track does an excellent job at telling the story you envisioned.

My only criticism is that the percussion feels too minimal in the context of what sounds like a medium-sized orchestra. I think the climax falls slightly short of its full emotional potential due to a lack of strong percussion, especially high-end percussion.

Step responds:

I'm incredibly glad you're able to pick up on the story I was trying to tell. Like... completely over the moon. Haha.

That's a very interesting point about the percussion. I'm usually pretty heavy on percussion in my orchestral pieces and I actually tried to exercise some restraint in this one, but in hindsight I completely agree that some high-end percussion at least during the last climax would've really sealed the deal.

Thanks a lot for the great review!

I love the lively orchestration. You achieved a full, warm sound. The selection of chords is wonderful, and it really shines during the sustain sections. I like the build ups to the busy sections; you did a great job at creating a dynamic structure. I think you achieved a good balance between the feelings of awe and exuberance, which are dominant throughout the piece.

I think much of the song's liveliness is thanks to the excellent composition and instrumentation, but I believe you can go even further by meticulously finetuning the automation on expression, vibrato, etc.

Although the mix is good in that I can hear everything well enough, I wish the melodic lines were more prominent or in-focus. I think the mix could benefit from having a slightly greater hierarchy.

I enjoyed this a lot, and I can imagine this being used in a game trailer.

Hi. I'm a self-taught orchestral composer. For commissions and other inquiries, contact me here or at everratc@gmail.com

Male