View Profile Everratic

All 365 Audio Reviews

285 w/ Responses

I'm amazed that on your first attempt, you made a song outside of your comfort zone that's this good! And you managed to avoid a generic sound as well.

You became really good at making your percussion and melodies work well together; I remember I used to comment on that a lot. It now seems like an area of strength for you.

This might be typical for the genre, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm not a fan of the use of what seems sort of like white noise. I find it a little distracting, which is unfortunate because there's so much ear candy in the song. I also think that the song is ever-so-slightly over-compressed, and it creates an effect that sounds like all the elements are glued together into one wall of sound; perhaps you wanted that, but I can tell you put a lot of effort into making the leads sound highly expressive, and I think the leads would shine more if they were a little more detached. I hope that makes sense :P

Still, this is a great track, especially considering the genre change.

Like Chrono, I also love the key change.

endKmusic responds:

Yeah, everything you ever said I took in consideration, and I'm glad you did.

About compression -
I wanted to glue it and make it slightly less dynamic.
There are four different parts of the song I wanted all the major ones to have the consistent energy since they were a little bit different in terms of dynamics.
Sound of leads may be better without it, I agree, but it was not so much of a sacrifice, since I wasn't going that harsh on compression. I GUESS.
Next time I'll double check for sure.

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Always love hearing from you! :)

I love the nostalgic vibe you established. At times the song is quite emotional. There’s a lot of ear candy and always something interesting going on despite being a bit repetitive. Speaking of repetition, I understand your situation, but I’m not sure why you decided to make it 5 minutes in that case. I think this could easily be condensed to four minutes and sound much more impressive that way. I’m not fond of the juxtaposition of totally different reverbs; although it’s not always bad, in this dreamy song, I wanted the song to sort of take off from the ground at times, which I believe would be apt considering the theme, but the difference in reverb between different elements kept the song grounded. I found the very ending to be a bit boring. You’re a fantastic pianist and I think you could do something a little more interesting while returning to the root chord. This song has a lot of emotional appeal and I greatly enjoyed it despite my criticism. I’m glad you returned!

johnfn responds:

Actually the repetitive middle section is my favorite part! :> Also you didn't like my iv->I ending idea? >:( thanks for the review tho glad you (mostly) liked it!

The distortion on the bass that comes in at :49 is distracting. It makes sense to have that effect, but I guess I think it’s too extreme as is. Otherwise I think this is a perfect video game track.

McGorilla42 responds:

Thanks for the comment! Maybe that distortion is a bit extreme and interfering with the upper mids - I can easily tone it down a little. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

I like the composition itself. It's pretty energetic and catchy. I think the instrumentation arrangement needs a lot of work though. One easy change you can make to improve this quite a lot is to layer to brass leads, which tend to sound thin when played solo in one octave. Don't just copy and paste the melodies though, because as you move further down in the register, it becomes increasingly difficult for the instruments to effectively carry a melody. I think the percussion lacks much-needed power; it could benefit a lot from more cymbals, or maybe even a shaker or tambourine. I noticed many missed opportunities to slightly alter the instrumentation to create some subtle contrast between different parts of certain sections. For example, one common technique is to play a phrase with a string ensemble, and then the phrase is repeated but with woodwinds (I'm not suggesting you do this exactly, this is just an example to help convey my thoughts). This is a solid foundation but it sounds incomplete to me.

This is a lot more interesting than typical dubstep. I love the piano parts, and the climax is so satisfying!

Spadezer responds:

Oh thanks! Coming from you that means a lot to me actually, especially the climax part.

I love it! It makes me feel like I'm playing Super Smash Bros Brawl again :D

MassiveKun responds:

Hey thanks man!

This audio was inspire by Masahiro Sakurai's games.

Im glad you injoy it :)

Hey Stay tuned for my game Scrownchy Kombat 2, suppose to be up and finish this time this month.

I love it! It reminds me of Final Fantasy games.

This is amazing. You're really good at designing otherworldly experiences with your music. It has a strong calming effect.

Phonometrologist responds:

Thanks Blue. I appreciate your description, because I really don't know what kind of "effects" people get when listening to what I end up putting together.

I love this so much. It's so energetic, catchy, and uplifting. My only gripe is that I wish there were more countermelodies or melodic layering.

8-bitheroes responds:

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah countermelodies would be a good idea, something i struggle with a little.

Wow, I easily envision playing a medieval rpg while listening to this. It reminds me of the Witcher music I used in a Skyrim mod. This could be phenomenal if you had better vsts, but it sounds great as is. I encourage you to get some better vsts as soon as you can because you're clearly talented and might be able to be a video game composer someday, if you wish.

Quebi responds:

Wow, thank you. That really means a lot. I definitely need some better vst's, hopefully this competition helped that a lot. But honestly, thank you. It's actually my dream to compose for entertainment media, shows, movies, games, etc.

Hi. I'm a self-taught orchestral composer. For commissions and other inquiries, contact me here or at everratc@gmail.com

Male